A blog for America's neighbour to the north that support Mitt Romney and what he stands for. As the U.S.'s closest friend and ally Canada is greatly affected by U.S. policy and politics.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Can One Voter Really Make a Difference?

If I came up to you and offered you to pick between the following two choices, which would you take?

Option #1 - I will give you a million dollars cash right now, on the spot, no strings attached.

Option #2 - I will give you a penny today, which you can bring back to me tomorrow to trade me for two pennies (double). The next day you could bring me the two pennies, at which time I would give you four. This doubling would continue for 31 days. For example, this is what the first 10 days would look like.

Day 1 - 1 cent
Day 2 - 2 cents
Day 3 - 4 cents
Day 4 - 8 cents
Day 5 - 16 cents
Day 6 - 32 cents
Day 7 - 64 cents
Day 8 - 1.28 dollars
Day 9 - 2.56 dollars
Day10- 5.12 dollars
Continued for another 21 days

You may have seen something like this before, but it is not surprising that many people would take the first option of one millions dollars now instead of the second doubling option. Well, the truth is that by taking the second option you would end up with $10,747,418.24, almost 11 times more than the first.

So what am I getting at here? Yes, yes, I actually have a point! The point is that the power of doubling is huge. You may think, "I like Mitt Romney, but what difference is my one vote going to make?". First of all, this is a dangerous way to think, because if everyone thought this way the person who gets into power to govern many would be decided by very few. But imagine if you could convince two of your friends or family who were not going to vote for Romney to do so; and what if they did the same thing. In 31 days, almost 11 million new voters would come out for Mitt. It all starts with one though, just as the old proverb says, "every journey begins with a single step".

There are still almost two weeks until Super Tuesday and even less until Florida. What can you do to support Mitt in his battle for the nomination?

Visit this link to see what you can do to:

Elect Romney in 2008 - Florida and Super Tuesday: What You Can Do

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Canadian Mitt Supporter,

You seem to care so much about the politics going on here in America which tells me that you are having a "love affair" with America. Not that I'm complaining... I enjoy reading your blog.

Have you thought of moving to America?

Illinois

Anonymous said...

Actually some of us are closet Americans. We have spouses or friends that are Americans. I lived in Illinois for two years and grown to love the people there. Of any group of nations in the world, Canadians and Americans are the most similar. Our Histories are intertwine and our people have the same genetic make up. However, we do like living in Canada as much as you like being in the States. Our large cities looks and feels like your large cites. Our prairie towns looks and smells like your prairie towns. We have a west coast and a east coast. We share the same water ways and have the longest border in the world.
That being say, what happens in the States effects us greatly here in Canada. Although, it is not always true the other way around. Where is your loonie & toonie coins, and metric measurements and bilingual language labels and signs. If it wasn’t for us, you couldn’t point your fingers and said, “See, it doesn’t work!”.

Suds said...

I would be happy in America if I lived there. It is a great country, full of great people. I also love Canada though, having been raised here and being close to all my family. That being said, I live 45 minutes away from New York and love to visit the States as often as I can. Thanks for your support, Illinois.