A blog for America's neighbour to the north that support Mitt Romney and what he stands for. As the U.S.'s closest friend and ally Canada is greatly affected by U.S. policy and politics.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

dear obama, what are you doing?

In all honesty, as much of a republican as I see myself being, I’m not blind to other candidates if they would offer a better representation of what I think America needs. I recently had a conversation with a friend who is all about Obama, and naturally as politics came up we were pitted against each other, but I was interested in why she was such a fan of the Barack camp (and she was a fan, if Apple were a candidate, that’s how ridiculous his following is – they love him and don’t care what anyone says they love him and yer a hoser if you don’t love him too… just cause). She went on to explain her position and left me wondering "whah?"

Barack supporters, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, because admittedly my following of the liberal candidates hasn't been perfect. So here's how I understand the Obama way... after the jump.

His history, as taken from his wiki says that he "worked as a community organizer, university lecturer, and civil rights lawyer before running for public office. He served in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004, launching his campaign for U.S. Senate in 2003." He's been in the US Senate since 2004, so three years.

This broken
down says he got in the Illinois State Senate in 1996, got tired of it, ran for the US HoR in 2000, lost, stayed in the State Senate, in 1998, 2002, then resigned in 2004 when he ran for the US Senate. Less than two years later he began courting presidential aspirations (before that I'm sure). My problem with this is that Obama is on a mission to the Whitehouse. He has it in his sights, and see's each office as a stepping stone. I mean an appointment to the US Senate is nothing small or insignificant, but Obama's focus is beyond the difference he can make, he's looking for the house.

Inherent to such aspirations is that Obama talks a lot, and only after that he then does whatever he finds time for between campaigning for the next office and speaking. He speaks a lot. You look at his record, it's a l
ot of speeches. He's addressed the issues ... in dazzling speeches. In fairness, he's supported many bills that have been favorable, and even introduced a few, but none have been able to debunk his beacon accomplishment of ... speaking at the 2004 DNC.

I mean, I don't really have anything bad to say about Obama, I'm sure he'd be a great presidential can
didate in about 10 years when he's used his offices to accomplish something. When he's come into his own and defined his views a bit more. Recently he was quoted as saying he's a "political agnostic" (digg it) and he's willing to take any good idea from anybody. Well of course he is, he's still learning what he actually believes. He's consistently been on bandwagons that have taken him to good places, but as a leader, particularly a leader in national politics, he has proven nothing. Obama, you've got a cute campaign and I wish you all the best, but will look at you seriously in about two elections. In the meantime, quit power mongering and actually make something of your office, use what you've got to make a difference and show us that you have real potential. thx.

No comments: